Re: Wrong type error when calling all functions

In [emacs-w3m : No.11457] Chris Thompson wrote:
[...]
> locate-library for w3m, org, abbrev and others return this directory:
> /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/23.2/share/emacs/23.2/lisp

> I installed emacs from homebrew. It looks like there is a mistake in
> that install script, but I haven't looked into it.

> I was't able to build the package that you linked to. I really only
> know configure, make, make install. What would I need to do to build
> the package you linked too? However, I did build 1.4.4 from the same
> server.

Perhaps it may be downloaded as the file name
"emacs-w3m.tar.gz?view=tar".  If so, rename it to "emacs-w3m.tar.gz".
To build and install it to the default directories:

gzip -cd emacs-w3m.tar.gz| tar xf -
cd emacs-w3m
autoconf
 (creates the configure script)
./configure
make what-where
 (shows the directories to which the modules will be installed)
make
make install

If you wish to install it under the directory "/home/chris/",
use the configure option "--prefix=/home/chris", i.e.:

./configure --prefix="/home/chris"

Run "./configure --help" to see the other options.  You may want
to use "--with-lispdir=", "--with-icondir=", or "--infodir=".
Remember that "make what-where" shows what "make install" will do,
after performing the configure script with some options.

And then, if you install emacs-w3m to non-standard directories,
modify the ~/.emacs file to add the directory where w3m.elc,
w3m-load.el, etc. exist to the Lisp variable `load-path'.
For example:

(add-to-list 'load-path "/home/chris/share/emacs/site-lisp/w3m")

And you may further want to explicitly set `w3m-icon-directory'
and to modify `Info-directory-list' as follows:

(setq w3m-icon-directory
      "/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/23.2/share/emacs/23.2/etc/images/w3m")
(add-to-list 'Info-directory-list
             "/home/chris/share/info")

> I rebuilt it just now with the lispdir variable in the makefile equal
> to the above path. Now locate-library w3m gives the above path. So the
> w3m.ecl is in the same directory as w3m-load.el. Unfortunately I am
> getting the same error- Wrong type argument: array-p, nil.

Hm, add this snippet

(setq debug-on-error t)

just above the (require 'w3m-load) line, and see what Emacs says.

> Perhaps I should try a reinstall of emacs?

I don't think so.