Re: A user menu in the wrong position

On 2007-02-01, Katsumi Yamaoka said:

>> Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@xxxxxxx> writes:
>
>>> How do other people think about it?  Should it leave to Emacs,
>>> be customizable or be as is?
>
>> I always found the position of the menus somewhat surprising, but
>> imagined that there was a good reason behind it.  If there isn't,
>> moving them to a more usual location would be nice...
>
> I thought the leftmost place of the menu bar is the best.
> Contrarily, menu items in the rightmost place will easily disappear
> when there are many items or a user uses a big font or shrinks the
> frame width, like a clock and minor modes disappear in the mode
> line.
>
> Regards,

For emacs-w3m alone, it doesn't matter where the "w3m", "bookmark" and
"Tab" are placed. But "File", "Edit" "Options" etc are present in
almost all modes. Making them dislodged from the usual places causes
surprise.

Many packages in Emacs have already brought more than 3 items into the
menu bar for example outline-mode, message-mode and gnus etc. And for
modern monitors, the menubar and toolbar have only taken 40% of the
screen width as in my two year old computer.