Re: Search engine duckduckgo URL results 404

Hello

Boruch Baum <boruch_baum@xxxxxxx> writes:

> On 2020-07-03 11:51, Tomas Nordin wrote:
>> Boruch Baum <boruch_baum@xxxxxxx> writes:
>>
>> > The fix that works for me to be able to use the new duckduckgo website
>> > is to modify the entry in variale w3m-search-engine-alist to
>> >
>> >     ("duckduckgo" "https://lite.duckduckgo.com/lite" utf-8 "q=%s")
>>
>> This is the hard coded default as far as I can see (for duckduckgo) in
>> `w3m-search-engine-alist'.
>
> Hmm. The first question that I should ask is "Exactly what emacs
> key-sequence did you use to verify that current setting of yours for
> w3m-search-engine-alist"?

The current setting I am checking with `describe-variable' (C-h v). The
above claim about the hard coded default I made based on the source in
w3m-search.el in my elpa w3m installation. But checking again I see that
I was wrong, the hard coded default is

("duckduckgo" "https://duckduckgo.com/lite" utf-8 "q=%s")

with no "lite" in the beginning. Also, now trying your suggestion it
produces results that is not "redirection links" so that's perfect.
Thank you! I think maybe this should be the default for duckduckgo.

>> The result for me using this as the engine with `w3m-search' is that I
>> get to https://lite.duckduckgo.com/lite with an empty search bar, (the
>> search term I entered in mini-buffer had no effect).
>
> The behavior you described is identical to that of the original bug
> report, which turned out to be due to how duckduckgo servers were/are
> performing the redirect to the new domain.

Hmm, well, not for me with the hard coded entry no.

--
Tomas