Re: w3m-search.el

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

> Romain, we are talking about the Quick Search feature.

Thanks for including me in the discussion...

> We probably be able to realize the qsearch feature using the
> w3m-uri-replace-alist variable (though, maybe slight modification is
> needed, e.g.  making it can contain the coding-system element).

Yes; we should be able to do it with this mechanism, but in which ways
exactly would it be better than our existing way?  Do you want to
change it just for the sake of genericity?

Just in case you don't remember, I sent a patch on Dec 20th, 2002 which
added a modification hook for URLs and obsoleted the
w3m-uri-replace-alist variable, I'm still using it in my local copy and
I still think it's a good way to have URL modification without too much
Lisp hackery.  See [emacs-w3m:04471].

> The points are what is reasonable and what is user-friendly.

"Reasonable" is probably a matter of coding style or taste here since
performance isn't critical.  As for "user-friendly", the way the feature
is coded probably doesn't matter as long as it's still there.

I agree that doing more or less the same thing in two different places
is bad, but it seemed to me that the w3m-uri-replace-alist solution was
more a ugly hack than anything else.  I'd be glad to see a clean
implementation of the quicksearch feature using it, though...  :)

--
Romain FRANCOISE <romain@orebokech.com> | This is a man's man's man's
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | world. --James Brown