Re: windows-1252

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 21:08:52 +0900 Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:

>> What do you think?
>
>> (defvar w3m-windows-1252-entities-alist
> [...]
>> (add-hook 'w3m-fontify-before-hook 'w3m-fix-fscked-latin-1)
>
> It works fine to display the zeit.de pages in the *w3m* buffer.
> I think it can be merged into emacs-w3m if there are many pages
> pretending the charset is iso-8859-1 even if it is
> windows-1252.

You have this problem even on Slashdot (but rarely).  I think it
typically occurs if people can post comments or articles on web
sites.  Seems IE doesn't care about the encoding and some server
software doesn't fix it.

> However I'm not sure whether it is a right solution (I don't
> feel like recognizing those extra data as iso-8859-1, though I'm
> not familiar with the actual situation in the Latin world).  In
> addition, it is not effective in the Gnus article buffer.

What's the problem in article buffers?  Actually i think it is no
problem to treat all latin-1 pages as windows-1252.  Seems that's
the way how Mozilla and related browsers handle this problem (at
least the pages discussed here all display "fine").

Any sane latin-1 page will not have any control characters within
the text so i don't see a problem with interpreting them as
windows-1252.

> On the other hand, sb-fau.el provides shimbun-fau-coding-system,
> which will be windows-1252 if it is available.

Do you know which emacs versions support windows-1252?

BTW at least the middle and east European windows charset is not
"compatible" with any latin-n encoding, so it's likely that this
problem exists only in the latin-1 world.

David