Re: right clicking on URL in emacs-w3m vs. gnus

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@xxxxxxx> writes:

> Štěpán Němec wrote:
>> Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@xxxxxxx> writes:
> [...]
>>>
>>> I haven't implemented it yet because I didn't think it's very useful.
>
>> Interesting. I find it _very_ useful. Does that mean you have defined a
>> lot of custom commands for manipulating URLs in Gnus Article buffer? Or
>> do you never feel a need to e.g. quickly copy the link location?
>
> It's enough to me to type `M-x bro RET' (`bro' is complemented
> into `browse-url'), `M-x w3m RET', or just `RET' on a string that
> looks like a url.  Those commands copy the link location and pass
> it to the browser.

OK. (BTW, I often want to *only* copy the URL, not open it.)

>>> Are there other function items you want?
>
>> I don't see why we couldn't get the complete same right click menu as in
>> emacs-w3m. I'd especially like to have "Copy Link Location" (and I hope
>> it will also work in article headers -- I often find myself wanting to
>> copy the Gmane permalink, for example); jidanni mentioned in a recent
>> report the need for "Open in External Browser"; I can also see how "Save
>> Link as..." could be useful. In short, why not just provide the whole of
>> emacs-w3m right click menu?
>
> Note that what we're talking about is a text/plain article (or
> other) that is not rendered by emacs-w3m, like this:
>
> http://git.gnus.org/
>
> Currently there is only a button that Gnus adds using widget.el
> (iff `gnus-treat-buttonize' is the default value).  OTOH, an html
> article rendered by emacs-w3m has the right click menu buttons on
> links.

Yes, I know; but it's frustrating (for an emacs-w3m user at least) to
have a URL button, but not be able to do anything with it apart from
middle-clicking.

> Not all users have and load emacs-w3m, so, maybe what we can do
> will be to provide the right click menu like emacs-w3m only if
> `mm-text-html-renderer' is `w3m', and the menu title should be
> "emacs-w3m".

Sounds reasonable to me.

> Even in that case, we will have to make Lisp functions for the menu
> items one by one. Because the article is not rendered by emacs-w3m.

That seems unfortunate; I'm not acquainted with emacs-w3m or gnus
internals well enough to see any more convenient solution (to avoid some
code duplication perhaps) -- if you don't see one, it might very well be
the case there is none...

Thank you very much for your feedback,

Štěpán